INSPIRATION: Putting An End To Your Writers Block




Writer's block is a painful experience. Some don't even consider it real and in the time of self doubt that one feels during such a phase, there are thoughts which shout out loud saying “ come on! Who are you kidding, you were never a writer in the first place”.

The ubiquity of social connections, in the age of ‘viralness’ of creativity only contributes to the misery. The agony of reading beautifully written poems and prose, especially by your contemporaries and not being able to write yourself can only be described as that felt by a hungry old man with no teeth who has been offered a plateful of Roasted corn.Writer's block is however, a comfort of time. The one which allows you to rest in the depths of lull, mundane existence but with a promise that you'll come back from it and start writing again. You will, you think, after the struggle. Just like the realisation after a bout of depression that it is a disorder that can be treated and that you are not damned for the entirety of your life.

“You overcome writers block by writing. Start somewhere, anywhere. Write a few lines. Say anything. And see what happens. Don’t think about it too much or make fancy announcements. Just write. It doesn’t need to be eloquent or presentable; it just needs to be written.”

I must confess that I feel guilty I have been away for so long. And my reason for doing so has haunted me over the past months but I feel it is best for me to share my experience and trials rather than drown in self pity. I have been having a hard time connecting to my writing and its been a terrible feeling to bare.

I have been feeling underappreciated and as though I am a fraud or I am not doing enough. I suppose many writers go through the same ordeal and the lucky few find away to break free while others just choose to throw in the towel. We all suffer from creative depression or writers block or lack of motivation as it has been labeled so many times. What people don’t understand is the crippling feeling it brings which can either mar or make your career.

When I started this blog my sole purpose was to inspire through my words. It’s been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember and when I finally got the chance it was surreal. Somehow along the way I lost sight of that goal. Mostly because I lost sight of my vision and sort after pleasing the public and I became a victim of social media scrutiny which led to self doubt. I started my blog as a lifestyle blog, it was meant to carry inspirational content as well as stories from my daily encounter that people can relate to and appreciate but I got confused and lost track of that.

   “Write for the joy of writing. Because you can’t not do it. Don’t try to say or produce anything; just get some words on paper, now. No excuses or justifications.”

 Writers block or creative depression isn’t something people are familiar with. It is incomprehensible to people in the industry and so we tend to suffer alone. Through the course of my affliction which has taken a toll on me I have searched for several methods to revive my creativity and some have proven successful. One thing I have learning from this experience is that you should always be true to your plan.  A blog is an outlet meant to inspire and distancing yourself from it only dehumanizes it.

As writers we seek approval or appreciation from our readers and when we don’t get it we tend not to be so motivated. It has affected me deeply but I now realize that it isn’t enough reason for me to stop writing. I’ll keep pushing on until my work can touch people just as I have always intended it to do. I derive no pleasure in empty praises, the joy I get is from the acknowledgment that I am actually making a difference and that’s what truly matters.

That been said, I have decided to share a few tips I got from some articles on how to handle creative depression; for writers out there who are going through it. I find it motivating and I have begun the process of self discovery. I hope it helps;

Creative solutions to writers block (By Jeff Goins):

1.Take a walk. Studies show that movement helps calm the mind.

2. Eliminate things that distract you.

3. Play. Games are a great way to keep your mind active. I personally enjoy puzzles and the   adventure types.

4. Change your environment. You will never be motivated if you stick to the same thing or place. Try something new.

5. Read a book.

6. Free write. Don’t over think it, just write.

7. Listen to music. My favourite of them all. I find it brings me a lot of comfort, especially when I feel anxious.

8. Brew some coffee to help stay alert and zoned in.

9. Create a routine. Many writers do this to be inspired daily.

10. Spend time with someone who makes you feel good.

11. Brainstorm ideas in bullet point. I do this a lot.

12. Read some inspiring quotes before you start.


Sometimes the best way forward is to give it all we’ve got and ignoring the criticism we face on social media. I’m really glad that I got to share this with you guys and even more so that I am finally putting things in prospective and acknowledging what really matters and why I started this in the first place. It isn’t easy but I’ll always bare it in mind that I am doing my best and I'm doing what I love.

Always remember you’re worth more than you give yourself credit for and you can have it all. Thanks for reading and please do share your thoughts.

Comments

Popular Posts